Remember me
Lost Password Register

Gear choices for OW
01-12-2003, 06:39 PM,
Re:Gear choices for OW
PADI is probably more concerned about liability issues related to using a long hose vs. how much money they can make by teaching the concept. Not too long ago nitrox was the devil gas...
--Jason
01-12-2003, 08:05 PM,
There is no agency advocating using the long hose for OW certifications. GUE doesn't have an OW program, and all the other agencies are tech agencies (or affiliates). As for the liability issue, that is a concern for any agency and/or instructor, but the moment PADI noticed they could start selling nitrox and make a profit they immediately started pushing it. Money is always the bottom line.
01-13-2003, 01:50 AM,
I don't think that saying PADI only embraced Nitrox to make money is enitirely fair. It took quite a bit of effort on the part of the various agencies to get NO2 mainstreamed. By mainstreamed I mean legal, not just pop in and get a tank. For instance it used to be forbidden to use Nitrox in Florida unless there was on site recompression chamber. Obviously shelling out $20-30 K for a portable chamber is not a piece of gear that I would like to aquire, and I don't think any of us have the means to lobby to get an exception to this rule for sport divers. Commercial intrests said sport divers should be banned from using mixed gas because there is no way a sport diver could get the training and practice the discipline to do it safely. And many parroted this response. It took quite a bit of muscle (and more than a few $) to make Nitrox into what it is today.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
01-13-2003, 08:10 AM,
Hello from purgatory (Philadelphia...can't wait to get home!!!)
At least from my point of view now students at least have an option to use or not to use (I.E. SD&T options for students).
I plan to at least try it this summer with then, if not earlier.
Here is an interesting question? Don't we as divers need to research different options/configurations (etc..etc..etc..)?
I am thankful for all the information and opinions I receive here. I feel the responsibility is on myself also, and not all on the certifying agency. Boards like this one are used not only to meet new divers, but to exchange ideas. And that is such a great thing !!!
So what did I just say? I have no idea.

Thanks again...Jean ;D
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
01-13-2003, 08:17 AM,
What additional liability issues would there be to using a long hose setup ??? I don't get it...In my opinion it's safer than having an octo in a scumball or clipped off somewhere on a BC.
01-13-2003, 08:34 AM,
Well, I'm going to start saving my pennies for the long hose setup but I want to try it first to see how it works with my BC. I think that's about as far as I'm going to take it. I like my Knighthawk BC and just don't think it's worth getting the bp/wings at this point. The long hose makes sense to me because I can feel some resistance when turning my head using my current setup. Also, donating my primary would be nicer with a long hose.

I'll need to purchase a long hose and another 2nd stage. I think I can use my current 2nd stage and hose for my backup. Thinking about getting either another ScubaPro g250hp or MAYBE an s600 for my new primary. Where's the best place to get the hose?

Also, would I necessarily have to get rid of my Air2 and replace it with the standard inflator? I think I know someone that will buy my Air2 if necessary.
01-13-2003, 08:46 AM,
[quote='Chris link' dateline='1042468470']

\"I'll need to purchase a long hose and another 2nd stage. I think I can use my current 2nd stage and hose for my backup. Thinking about getting either another ScubaPro g250hp or MAYBE an s600 for my new primary. Where's the best place to get the hose?\"

SD&T has the best prices in town for this kinda stuff and they stock it. They have the 7footer, 22\" backup hose, 24\" HP hose, different length corrugated and inflator hoses, etc.

\"Also, would I necessarily have to get rid of my Air2 and replace it with the standard inflator? I think I know someone that will buy my Air2 if necessary.\"

Why would you still need your Air2? You do have a primary and back up regulator, you can breathe from a standard inflator (just hold down both buttons at the same time, inhale through mouthpiece, exhale through nose), and the problem with the AIR2 is that 1) they're fairly unreliable as a backup (especially at depth or in a high workload situation), and 2) they require a custom inflator hose. This is important when you dive dry so your drysuit and BCD inflator hose are interchangeable, so that in case your BCD hose is screwed for some reason and you can't maintain your boyancy with your drysuit alone, you can unhook your drysuit inflator and plug it into your BCD. (Same argument goes for the Poseidon drysuit inflators: change 'em for a standard nipple so you can interchange your hoses) Granted, this is more of a concern when diving doubles than singles, but it is very important to dive the same basic configuration all the time and to eliminate all possible failure points from your rig.[/quote]
01-13-2003, 09:48 AM,
Just trying not to buy more gear than I have to I guess. I'll take a hit on selling the Air2, but can sell it for the price of the standard inflator at least. I was pretty much expecting to get rid of the Air2 anyway, just wasn't sure if it had to be done right away.

Would you also recommend a shorter corregated hose or just replace the inflator?

Thanks for the info/tips... greatly appreciated.
01-13-2003, 09:53 AM,
I believe a new inflator will run you about $40 - 50. As for the length of the corrugated, it should be long enough to inflate your drysuit while holding the inflator mechanism and it should be long enough enough to comfortably orally inflate your wing. Any longer than the above requirements just becomes sloppy. In general, a corrugated hose (for the hose alone) in the 16" to 22" range is your ballpark range.
01-13-2003, 10:03 AM,
Cool... sounds like I'll be able to just swap out the inflator then. It might be a little longer than recommended but it's never been in my way while diving.