Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving in Glacier National Park July 2009
07-25-2009, 10:59 PM,
Re: Diving in Glacier National Park July 2009
We are staying at St Mary Lake tonight on the East side of Glacier. I got in two dives in Lake McDonald and they were awsome. The first one was on the SE corner near Apgar Campground. The bottom was basically flat here and the terrain on land was too near there. On that dive I went to 41' deep and I found an old cork top wiskey bottle, some broken plates, a pair of sunglasses, and some golf balls. I wish I would have dove further north on this East side of the lake as that would have dropped off more rapidly. The second dive on this lake was on the West side near Fish Creek Campground. The bottom here was basketball sized rocks on a 45 degree sloped bottom. Below 30' it turned to sand but the sloped bottom continued at about 45 degrees. I hit 52' deep on this dive and decided that there was nothing to stop anything that would have fell overboard on this steep slope. This lake is 425' deep and the visibility varied between 25' and 35'. The waves of light from the waves were still shining on the bottom at 35' deep. On this West side I only found a 3/4" x 8" bolt, a fishing lure, and miles of monofililoment line. I took tons of video and still pictures of both dives. I did not get a chance to dive at St Mary Lake and I am kinda bummed out about that. Tomorrow we will be heading to Upper Waterton Lake in Alberta Canada and I hope to dive on the paddle wheeler in Emerald Bay. We will see how the day goes. It is lightning out now and the lightning behind the mountains is really something to see. I will post video and photos later...

Messages In This Thread
Re: Diving in Glacier National Park July 2009 - by DetectorGuy - 07-25-2009, 10:59 PM