Remember me
Lost Password Register

Describe One of Your Favorite Dives
05-13-2006, 01:48 AM,
Re: Describe One of Your Favorite Dives
Nassau, Bahamas
One of the duals on the creaking old bus blew out on the rough ride from the pier to the dive center.  Since the driver didn't even raise an eyebrow,  I got the feeling we were in a very relaxed place.  A dozen fun people on a dive boat made for 24 was a real bonus!

We finned past the shark feeding station on the way to the wall.  After  being ignored by a continuous spattering of sea creatures,  we dropped down the wall.  Motionless at 97',  busy watching small creatures within 3 feet of the wall, checking my buddy, and grinning around my reg,  I realized I could stay there for days, logical considerations aside.  When I motioned to my dive buddy to ascend,  he hesitated.  In the 60 to 90 seconds it took to convince him to follow the plan (narced?, or waiting for me to see what he saw...)  hundreds of reef sharks flowed by us........
We ascended slowly up the wall,  seemingly invisible to the sharks.  Shark feeding was in progress as we made our way back to the boat.  My navigation was impecable,  but being able to see the prop on the boat from 50 down and 100 plus feet away may have simplified that task.....

Coral stretched up 20 feet from a forty foot sugar sand bottom to make my  second dive of the day just as memorable, seeing things I had not even dreamed of.
      I trudged back to the ship carring my wet gear, easily twice as heavy as on the walk to the dive.  This made the half-mile walk seem miles longer.  As I neared the ship,  I began to wonder if my tired, aching legs were a sign of something sinister or simply less than ideal physical conditioning,  but decided to rinse the gear and then re-evaluate.
I was very relieved when I removed the lead from my integrated bc.  Sadly, there was no time to return all the lead to the shop, since I surely  would have been "bent"  Bent over with a hat low over my reddened face.

My bride had been "tasting" liquor samples in the duty free shops in Nassau,  and reached the ship with her "booty" just as I hung up the freshly rinsed gear.  Following my limited training to the best of my ability, moderate post-dive exercise and a rest period followed, including sufficient liquids....I think that is a trip that should be experienced by all......... 
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Describe One of Your Favorite Dives - by billatlake - 05-13-2006, 01:48 AM
More pictures of Truk: Thanks Roger - by wtdrm - 03-20-2006, 02:43 AM
Re: Describe One of Your Favorite Dives - by wtdrm - 03-20-2006, 02:44 AM