Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wazee report
06-14-2005, 09:32 AM,
Re: Wazee report
I'm with you Chuck, I also buy a season pass and definitely get my money's worth.  I used to go to Crosby more often than Wazee but we've had some bad experiences there with some of the locals and I really don't like setting up my tent in a pile of broken bottles.  ???

For me it's worth the fee just to have a place that's well maintained and monitored.  I certainly wouldn't mind paying a fee in Crosby if they were to take better care of the grounds.
06-14-2005, 09:42 AM,
Er , if I can throw in my 2 cents worth...
Having gone the pass route as Wazee the last two years and now working down in Florida , I decided to get the YR-pass at Ginnie which is $300 !!! 
I have already paid for the darn thing (diving is $27 dollars/day ... $21 for cave)...
in about 4 months (I dive every weekend so ... )

I agree with everyone that says they got their moneys worth...

(I never thought caving would get into my blood but ... er ... )    :-[

Jean 
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
06-14-2005, 10:00 AM,
I agree that the vis is down a little, but it is still a cool lake to dive. 
As far as Crosby goes, there's more variety and it is always an adventure going back on the roads.  I've had more problems with the raccoons at Wazee than with the locals at Crosby.

I guess sometimes I'd rather take the $13 and put it in my gas tank and drive up north to Crosby or Lake Mine.
-Matt
06-14-2005, 10:03 AM,
I also purchase the season pass and like the diving.  However I don't think that we shouldn't have to accept just having paved roads, which took way to long.  I think that for all the money they collect from divers as apposed to the fees collected by other users we should have some things to look at down in the lake.  
Go Big, or go home!
06-14-2005, 10:38 AM,
If you want something to look at then the closest thing to a dive park is probably Ore-Be-Gone. The drive is a little long for a day trip from the Cities. You can get in a nice weekend of diving up there. They have well maintained camp grounds in the area.  I have heard reports of good vis up there this year.  Plus there are several other interesting pits in the region.
--Jason
06-14-2005, 07:33 PM,
The problems with locals at the pits in Crosby have pretty much dissappeared since they banned 4 wheelers, dirt bikes and target shooting. There just are not many locals going there except a few fishermen. The pits lost their appeal to the rest when they couldn't raise hell any longer. The big holiday weekends see a bigger influx, but most of the time its pretty quiet and empty at the pits. The ranger does come about to, and they will put the hammer down now on those abusing the area. They've even blocked off many or the old 4 wheeling roads with piles of rock and gravel. Don't judge Crosby on what things were like before 2004, its changed a lot.
I still hit Wazee once or twice a year, but find the diving getting less enjoyable and the fees going up and up. Between the vis and fees, I feel less and less inclined to go there.
Cary
06-15-2005, 02:33 PM,
What are the costs this year?

Wazee's "bathrooms", platforms, fish cribs, and not having stains on your vehicle for months do tend to outweigh crosby for me.
06-15-2005, 02:38 PM,
I agree 100% with you ccuba, the new paved road and parking lot at site #2 isn't cheap... I believe it is $10 per day or $75 per year for fees.

06-15-2005, 02:44 PM,
Thanks for the pricing. The seasonal is the way to go!
06-15-2005, 03:12 PM,
Seasonal pass is the way to go if you only want to dive the same place every time, well same three dive sites on the same lake.

I like going to different places, I like crosby cause it's fun to navigate and try not to get lost.  many places to dive.

Ore-Be-Gone is cool, things to see and it is free.

Lake Superior is awesome, cold but awesome.

I'd like to try that Mine Lake someday.